The Cathedral takes issues of safeguarding very seriously. All Cathedral employees and volunteers present current Working with Children Checks and Police certificates. In addition, the Cathedral has policies and codes of conduct in place that seek to promote safe working and worshipping environments.
Oversight of Policy
Dean: The Very Revd Dr Andreas Loewe
Precentor: The Ven. Canon Heather Patacca
Canon Missioner: The Revd Canon Robert Vun
Child Safe Officer: Mr Philip Nicholls
Commitment to Child Saftey
St Paul’s Cathedral Melbourne is committed to ensuring a safe environment for every child. We have a zero-tolerance of any behaviours that may or will harm children.
Our culture is one where child safety is paramount and one where parishioners will speak up if they have any concerns. Our clergy encourage parishioners to approach them if issues arise, and will provide advice on any action that needs to be taken. Allegations and concerns are taken seriously. A key element of our culture of child safety is to not only guarantee compliance with relevant regulations and checks but to live out our faith wholeheartedly committed to the safety of our children.
All at St Paul’s working directly with children are required to have a current Working with Children check, a National Police Check, and records of all checks are maintained. We also require those involved to adhere to our Code of Conduct. Our Cathedral is a member of the Anglican Diocese of Melbourne. The Diocese provides extensive resources regarding child safety and making complaints. Information regarding the making of complaints is available by clicking the button above or calling Kooyoora on 1800 135 246. Kooyoora is an independent entity that deals with complaints against church workers. We encourage reporting matters to the police, child protection agencies, and other authorities where appropriate and/or required by law.
Key Policies and Information
The following child-safe policies have been implemented by St Paul’s Cathedral and the Anglican Diocese of Melbourne.
- Statement of Commitment (English) | 圣公会墨尔本教区 (Mandarin)
- Safe Ministry Policy (English) | 圣公会墨尔本教区 (Mandarin)
- Code of Conduct for Child Safety and Wellbeing (English) | 儿童安全行为守则 (Mandarin)
- Guidelines for Child Saftey and Wellbeing (English only)
Further information and reading.
- Child Safe Standards
- Summary Church’s Responses to the Child Safe Standards
- Commission for Children and Young People
- Key Safe Ministry Documents
- National Faithfulness in Service Code of Conduct
- Professional Standards Regulations 2017
- Complaints Protocol Kooyoora
- Ministry Clearance Protocol Kooyoora
- Anglican Diocese of Melbourne Professional Standards Page
- Safe Ministry training